Saturday, June 18, 2016

Welcoming Families From Around the World



I have  a student starting my day care center who has recently immigrated form Bali, Indonesia. 

  • Five ways in which I will prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family:
    • I will research and talk to the family about the following:
1. Religious Impact 
2. Family Structure 
3. Differences between Eastern & Western Civilization 
4. Perspective on Education 
5. Impact of Genders in Culture 

          Children in Bali practice Buddhism.  Some Buddhist sects require that women wear head coverings.  I will prepare myself, through internet research and conversations with the parents, to educate myself on the requirements of the religion. I hope that this preparation will benefit the daycare and the parents to avoid the child feeling isolated or singled-out.  

          Most Eastern civilizations adhere to assigned gender roles.  Generally, males work outside of the home, while women assume more domestic responsibilities.  Western cultures often do not recognize these roles and share responsibilities based on requirements of the home.  Knowing the difference, I will research how to introduce various gender assignment in order to avoid offending the parents and making interaction uncomfortable.  In writing this blog, I recognize that conversations with both parents are required to determine who will assume childcare correspondence.

          In Bali, most children attend school for four hours each day for six days a week.  Most children, including children at our day care, are under our care for eight to nine hours for five days a week.  It is important that I research how to better maintain the child's attention and focus in the extended environment



2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I love the fact that you added the religious aspect to your family plan. For me that is one of the biggest parts that I want to start teaching. Keeping the core values is what we teach others to be authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    Having a child that religion requires them to wear head coverings seems like it may be a challenge. I know how children can ask so many questions so it’s best to be prepared to answer them. Also with their child attending the daycare for only four hours a day will be a challenge at first. You will have to do something different with your curriculum to include her so that she is getting the appropriate learning tools same as the other children are.

    ReplyDelete