Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression



When I entered high school, I kept my hair in a ponytail and wrapped up in a bun. I would never let it down. Well, during our winter break, my step-mother trimmed my ends and straightened my hair. I returned back to school with my hair out. At the time my hair was all the way down my back. I would describe my hair as fine and curly. Both of my parents are from the Native and African American decent. Everyone is my class kept asking me was this my real hair or weave. One girl even ran her hands through my hair to see if it was extensions or a wig because she did not believe me. I felt so uncomfortable that I went into the bathroom and put my hair back up. Negative comments and remarks were from different races; even my own ( white, black and asian). If I were put into this situation today, my reaction would be different. I would inform my classmates that everyone's grade of hair is different and not all black people wear weaves or have 'nappy' hair. I also would leave my hair out and ignore all the negative comments that were directed towards me.

No comments:

Post a Comment