Saturday, September 3, 2016

Communication




(Pictured in photo from left to right: former co-worker, my mother, Sr Brenda, and myself)

Sr Brenda Cherry

Sister Brenda Cherry is a nun that worked at St. Benedict the Moor School in Washington, DC. Sr. Brenda served as my Religion teacher for three years, she also was the principal of the elementary/middle school I attended.  When I graduated from college, I was hired as the fourth grade teacher and Sr Brenda served as the teacher supervisor at St. Benedict the Moor.  

While I worked with Sr Brenda, I had the honor to witness her ability to effectively communicate with  the parents of the students at St. Benedict.  On several occasions, Sr. Brenda communicated with parents regarding students behavioral issues or educational obstacles.  During those conferences, Sr Brenda eased the concerns of the parents while thoroughly explaining her concerns.  Sr Brenda effectively addressed each issue and presented resolutions that were amenable to the parents.

As a supervisor, Sr Brenda remained engaging during the staff meetings.  She presented programs that served the community, educators, parents and students. In addition, she was very informative, helpful and maintained an open door policy.  As the principal, Sr Brenda often communicated obstacles she observed, but never created a confrontational environment.  During meetings, she would maintain a relatable atmosphere that allowed for open and sharing conversation amongst the staff.

As a student of Sr Brenda's, I witnessed her ability to communicate with students of different needs.  In my class, there were varying levels of needs.  When a student presented a special need, Sr Brenda was patient and worked diligently to make sure the student reached a point of understanding.  Additionally, Sr Brenda also proved to be confidant when students needed to discuss difficult obstacles in their lives.  Not only did Sr Brenda communicate effectively as an educator, but she served as a counselor in difficult times. She was very approachable and welcomed conversations with her at any time.

As an educator/caregiver, I strive to mimic the behaviors and commutation skills of Sr Brenda in many ways.  As I communicate with parents, I use the strategies Sr Brenda used, by clearly communicating my concerns while presenting accessible resources to the parents.  This method has proven most effective with parents of special needs students as well as those with exceptional circumstances.

As a supervisor in my current position, I often reference the approaches Sr Brenda used. When I present new ideas or initiatives, I reference her patient attitude.  If confronted with frustrations expressed by staff members, I attempt to properly explain the purpose the new program or initiative to get 100% buy-in.

As a student of Sr Brenda's, I remember her patient approach.  Sr Brenda rarely became frustrated or showed a negative attitude.  As an educator, I reference her skill in patience.  In my profession, I work with children with special needs and use the communication skills Sr Brenda used when teaching at St. Benedict the Moor. My goal is to listen, understand and address any situation as they may arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment