Saturday, September 26, 2015

Consequences of Stress on Children's Development

                                                 

Racism

racism[rey-siz-uh m]  
noun

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others
.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or   fostering such adoctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.




In my early years, I lived in a community that was made up of mostly Caucasians. There were two black children in my first grade class and I was one of them. Every evening after school, I liked ride my bike. I was not able to leave my street but one day decided to ride around the block. As I was riding my bike one street over, two little boys were  standing on the opposite side of the street. While riding by, they began to throw rocks at me and chant, "Get off my street nigger girl!" I had never been in that situation before but I knew by them throwing rocks that something was wrong. In my head, I wondered what did I do? They don't even know me? So why are they throwing rocks and yelling at me? I was so confused. I rushed home and told my dad what had just occurred. I could tell by the look on his face he was furious. We got in his car and went to go find these boys. They were no where to be found but I did show my father which house they we standing in front of. He left me in the car and told me to stay there. My father knocked on the door for what seemed like forever but no one answered. We went home with no answers. After we returned home, my father asked me some more questions and then explained to me, his seven year old, why people do mean things to people the don't even know!

It was my first experience with racism but sadly not my last. Talking with my dad that day made me aware of racism and taught me how to handle the situation when it happened to me again. Our conversation went something like this: "Darling, you have to fight ignorance with kindness. If you stoop to their level, you are as guilty as they are. This has happened to so many people and although it is not fair it will continue for the rest of your life. Wether it be you, me, or someone else around the world." 



Racism Around the World
Racism is everywhere around the world. Below is just a few links on racism in other countries:
"Research done by Ausdale and Feagin in 2001 suggests children as young as three are able to tell racial differences and discriminate against one another based on race. It also suggests that early childhood may be a crucial sensitive period when stressors such as racial discrimination affect a person's long-term well-being. These stressors affect how the young brain develops and forms neural connections between different regions ("Children and racism: the long-term impact on health - AboutKidsHealth," n.d.)."


References

Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com. (n.d.). Retrieved from      http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism

Racism — Global Issues. (n.d.). Retrieved from 
            http://www.globalissues.org/article/165/racismTesting For Intelligence

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post. You made some great points about racism. You are right about racism being everywhere around the world. In my opinion it is very sad that in this day and age it even exists, but unfortunately it continues to hold on in some areas of every country. While I have not experienced racism first hand towards me, I must confess that I have a grandma that behaves badly around others. When I was younger I had birthday party at her house and she was not very nice to all of the friends that I invited. I was so embarrassed by her behavior and I was 8 at the time. I stood up for my friends and so did my mom but I will never forget how rude my grandma was. Now, she has dementia and does not remember much of anything about anything.

    ReplyDelete