Saturday, September 12, 2015

Breastfeeding

When I was pregnant with my first child, I was unsure of whether to breastfed or give him formula. On one hand, I had heard different types of horror stories about it and was scared that those things might happen to me. But I also knew about the benefits it would have on my new bundle of joy. Once I had given birth to a premature baby that weighed two pounds, I didn't second guess. I felt like he still needed me to help him grow, since he was born at 28 weeks. The doctors informed me that it was the best for my child because it contained vitamins and nutrients the baby needed. It was also easier for his stomach to break down and digest. They also informed me that my milk would help build his immune system because it was filled with all the things I had been exposed to. As a result, I breastfed all three of my preemies.

Most babies do not grasp the concept of suck, sallow, and breath until they are about 32 weeks gestational age. Too young do this, they were given my breast milk through a NG tube. This is a tube that is placed in the nose that leads to the stomach. Around 34 weeks they latched on and we were able to have great bonding time. When they were first born, they were allowed to stay out for about 30 minutes before they had to be placed back in their incubators. During this time I did Kangaroo Care with them. Although this was a great way to build attachment, breast feeding to me was a better bond.

Breast milk only contains 22 calories which is not enough for premature babies so doctors placed them on a supplement called Neosure. Therefore, I had to pump my milk and either refrigerate or freeze it. I breast fed all of my children for about 8 months. I am glad I chose this method of feeding. It was healthy for the babies as well as myself. I didn't seem so helpless and distant when I nursed them. 

Today, my children are all happy and healthy and I know part of it was because I chose to breast feed. They are all doing well in school and are actively involved in sports and other activities within our community. 

I am always encouraging expecting mothers to consider breasting. It has so many advantages and is the best sources of food for a newborn, especially the colostrum. This is a thick, high calorie fluid secreted by the mother's breast at birth (Berger, 2012). It is filled with high concentrations of nutrients and antibodies that is excellent for the baby.

Breast feeding in Germany

The National Committee for the Promotion of Breastfeeding at BfR recommends that a mother should breast feed their infants until around six months old("How long do mothers breastfeed in Germany? - BfR", n.d.). This is very similar to the recommendation I was given by my doctor. This is a good amount of time to give the newborn a jump start on building a strong immune system. around 90% of infants are breastfed in Germany during the first days after they are born. According to the Department of Health in Germany: 90% of new mothers breastfeed but the rate drops to 70% after only two months and to 60% after four months. Only about 45% and 40% of infants were exclusively breastfed at the age of two and four months respectively and at six months around 20%.(Department of Health | Germany, n.d.). Although, I know several mothers that have breast fed their child all the way up to 2 or 3 years old; these numbers are similar to American mothers.


References

Berger, K. S. (2011). The developing person through the life span. New York: Worth Publishers.

Nursing in public in Germany - PhD in Parenting - PhD in Parenting. (n.d.). 



1 comment:

  1. Andrea-
    WOW! I had no idea of the basic nutrition of breast milk. I am going to print out this information for the teachers so they have this knowledge also. I have heard from many mothers that breastfeeding their child was not only for the nutrition but for the connection and relationship it builds between mother and child. I also really like that there are other countries who appreciate the nutritional value of breast milk and want their mothers to do the same. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete