Saturday, February 20, 2016

Getting to Know Your International Contacts—Part 3

My international contact went out of town last week. I still want share the information she provided.  

"Well, the school that I currently work at is not accredited so, unfortunately, it answers to no one (educational governing body/authority). Due to this fact our teacher's meetings are different. The school has not adopted any content standards but the student materials address the basic standards to a certain degree. I, personally, have had discussions with my colleagues about the lack of standards and the resulting effects on their preparation for the next grade. I believe that content standards enable equality in the sense that every students learns the same material and is accountable for the same material. Content standards also make moves/transitions from one school to another smoother. We also discuss different resources and activities to differentiate instruction for our students to promote academic excellence. Unfortunately, these things are not discussed at our staff meetings. We, the teachers, must draw from our experiences from teaching in the United States to challenge our current students." -Kilah

She has not responded the this week's questions but when she does I will update my page.

The three insights I gained from this week's alternative assignment were:

1) Most websites and research that I have done since starting my degree states that early childhood is children ages birth to five. The UNESCO catergorizes children to the age of eight in early childhood.
2) UNESCO has a unique role to play in strengthening the foundations of lasting peace and equitable and sustainable development (UNESCO, 2014).
3) The UNESCO promotes peace and strives to build networks across the world.

References

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/education/themes/strengthening-education-systems/early-childhood/
  

No comments:

Post a Comment